Midnight Quilt Mania

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Preparing for Dad's Day

Thanks for stopping by. Over the next few days I will share cards I made for Father's Day this year. They all have a very different look about them. The card I'm sharing today is for my Dad. It's "all male", which suits my Dad perfectly. I started with Buckaroo Blue cs by SU! for my base and then added a background layer on Kraft cardstock. I created the background by first stamping the strip of stars from Let Freedom Ring in Antique Linen. Then I stamped the plaid using stamps from Let Freedom Ring and Faux Ribbon. I distressed all of the edges with ink to grunge it up a bit. For my focal panel I used PTI's new set Star Prints and the swirl from Let Freedom Ring. They work perfectly together. I love the way you can mix and match words in the Star Prints set. Instead of Dad there are other words you can use to complete this sentiment. To top it all off I used some lovely felt ribbon from SU! paired with a vintage button and twine from PTI. It's not an intricate card (I like to do lots of coloring) but I like it. My DH thought it was so/so until I told him I stamped the background. He thought it was plaid dp that I bought. Then he was impressed! :)

Now I just have to get this in the mail and think about what I might send along with it. My Dad is impossible to shop for. Do you have that same problem? I should buy him a tie just for laughs. He's retired but you know we bought him gobs of ties when we were kids. :)

Have a great one! Stop back by later this week to see the cards I made for my DH and my father-in-law.

Supplies: Stamps: PTI Let Freedom Ring, Star Prints, Faux Ribbon. Ink: Antique Linen, Faded Jeans, Walnut Stain and Brushed Corduroy (Ranger), Chocolate Chip (SU!), Fresh Snow (PTI). Cardstock: SU! Buckaroo Blue; PTI Vintage Cream and Kraft. Accessories: SU! felt ribbon, PTI vintage button and twine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is cool. I like how you combined elements from all the sets, which I happen to own too, lol! Especially the star & flourish - you can bet I'll be borrowing that idea. That little stripe is so handy as well. Your dad will love this! You probably don't even NEED a gift with this amazing card. I find that little photobooks are handy gifts. :)

Nadine said...

Wow, I love it. Such a great "masculine" card!

anya said...

Love this! Your plaid background is fantastic! :)

Aimes said...

Wow! Such a fab card - your background totally rocks! Really thought it was dp myself until you said you stamped it!
I struggle for my dad too, I'm making him a couple of bookmarks but apart from that I've no idea!
Aimes
x