Midnight Quilt Mania

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dad's Day Part 2

It all started innocently enough when I asked my DH to give me an idea for a Father's Day card for his Stepfather. Then he said, either something do with Italy (he's Italian and my in-laws visit Italy often) or something to do with metal because he's a materials engineer. Say what????? Oh boy, now I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do!! After a couple of failed attempts to draw (not my strong suit) the Tuscan countryside and use watercolors (also not my best medium), I chucked that in the trash and ended up with this card, that I hope (vaguely) resembles a scene from the Amalfi Coast of Italy.

I have to thank Michelle Zindorf for her wonderful inspiration and tips on building scenes. I still need lots of practice with how to tear my paper to mask off areas and use my brayer but I'm getting better. One day I hope to attend one of her brayer workshops.

About the card. The arch, the vine and the stone path (hard to see) are from Art Impressions. They have amazing stamps for scene building and some really funny stamps called Golden Oldies and much more. The small flower is from the PTI set Honey Bees. The rock cliff on the right was really hard for me. I had a moment of panic when I realized that I have absolutely no grey inks. How on earth will I create a cliff without grey ink? The closest I could get was to use Pebble and Mushroom inks from Adirondack. Not my first choice but the arch was already done and I didn't hate it so I didn't want to throw away the project. When it was done I wanted to add a button, a ribbon or some kind of sentiment or embellishment. My DH said "leave it alone it's perfect". So, I mustered all of my willpower and put down my embellishments. I think he was right, anything else would have detracted from the scene. Inside I stamped one of the great sentiments from PTI's set "Mother". The sentiments in that set are very versatile and can be used for lots of people besides Mothers.

Tomorrow I will post the card that I made my DH from our daughter Isabella. Hope you stop by to see!

Supplies: Stamps: Art Impressions, Papertrey Ink; Cardstock: PTI Kraft, Classic White and Ocean Tides. Ink: Palette Noir, SU! (Soft Sky, Baja Breeze, Night of Navy), Adirondack (Pebble, Mushroom, Aqua), PTI (Hibiscus Burst), Memories (Sand). Accessories: tan Marvy Marker and Aqua pen, White gel pen. I think that's it! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is stunning. I really love scenes like this and yours is gorgeous.